Focus: The Manogram® Project
The Manogram® Project reflects AdMeTech Foundation’s priority focus on ending the prostate cancer crisis. To achieve this goal, the Manogram® Project provides global leadership in expediting groundbreaking advances in prostate cancer care and their transfer to patients.
- Our Awareness, Education and Advocacy Programs are aimed at the broad based advancement of prevention, early detection and treatment. Read more
- Our Research Program is uniquely focused on the development, clinical evaluation and large-scale implementation of imaging tools akin to life-saving mammograms. Similar to its impact on breast cancer care, advanced imaging tools will end the era of blind patient care and create the future of precisely-targeted, minimally-invasive biopsies and treatment. Read more
Challenge: The Public Health Crisis
- Prostate cancer is the most common major malignancy in the US, striking as many as 1 in 7 men.
- Over 2 million American men live with prostate cancer today.
- Even though it is curable when detected early, prostate cancer remains the second most lethal malignancy in men.
- African American men are disproportionately affected with a 250% higher mortality rate.
- While prostate cancer is more common than even breast cancer (affecting 1 in 8 women), public awareness and national research investments are lagging far behind. As a result, men do not have accurate diagnostic tools akin to life-saving mammograms, and the impact is staggering:
- An American man dies every 18 minutes.
- Widespread unnecessary and failed procedures, including biopsies and treatment, decrease quality of life in millions of men and add billions of dollars to health care costs each year.
Solution: Accurate Diagnostic Tools
Accurate diagnostic tools for men (imaging and other biomarkers) will improve prevention, early detection and treatment of aggressive prostate cancer and reduce unnecessary procedures for benign or low-risk, dormant disease.
- Mass screening of healthy men will employ “simple-to-use” reliable kits for blood or urinary testing (similar to that for diabetes) for primary care and/or home use.
- Diagnostic evaluation of men with abnormal screening results will utilize advanced imaging technologies (“Manogram®”) for individualized care.
Just as mammography has transformed breast cancer care, accurate diagnostic tools for men will enable:
- Elimination of unnecessary procedures for benign or dormant disease, which is not likely to cause symptoms in a man’s lifetime;
- Precise guidance of biopsies for improved early detection of aggressive prostate cancer, critical for saving lives;
- Replacement of radical surgery with image-guided, minimally invasive treatment, which can be performed in outpatient clinics with reduced complications, discomfort and costs (“male lumpectomy”).
With the appropriate public and private investment in research, accurate prostate cancer diagnostics are expected to become available in 5 years.
AdMeTech Foundation’s research program generates breakthrough results by integrating expertise and resources of the world leaders in science, medicine and industry. Read more
Our education, awareness and advocacy campaign has resulted in historic legislation, recognizing prostate cancer crisis as a public health priority and major area of health care disparities and calling for increased national investment in research and innovation for the advancement of prevention, early detection and treatment. Read more